The IUI treatment may sound peculiar, but it is also one of the most important techniques to improve the fertilization among couples who are infertile. The methodology can be mentioned as Intrauterine Insemination which involves the process of placing a sperm inside the uterus of the women to facilitate fertilization. This is also regarded as one of the techniques which can be classified under Assisted Reproduction Technology (ART). In this article, we will have a look at the IUI Treatments.
What Is IUI Treatment?
This treatment is mainly focused on placing the sperm taken from the male and can be placed inside the women and then facilitate the process of fertilization. The main aim of this process is to improve the sperm count that reaches the Fallopian tubes which also helps in increasing the chances of fertilization. This treatment usually gives a better impression in the initial level, but still forces the sperm of the male to reach the egg and get fertilized on its own. It is slightly below the IVF procedure both cost wise and also the number of procedures involved.
When IUI is Used?
There are many explanations cited for undergoing ‘Intrauterine insemination‘ are there is some problems related to the quality and quantity of the sperms or in the movement and transportation of the sperms. Instead of all the above facts kept on a side, we can use the technique for problems like
- Unexplained fertility, where the doctor or anyone is unable to find the root cause for the infertility problems.
- At times, the condition of the cervical may be hostile which includes the formation of mucus on the cervical and creating problems in women.
- The presence of the scars on the cervical tissue which happened from the various other procedure, may act as a barrier for the sperms and block them from entering the uterus by collapsing the efficiency of the sperms.
- When there is problem with the ejaculation among the males, then they may also be treated with IUI. The common cause for problems in ejaculation is mainly found to be the blockages in the tract which sends the sperms from the testes to the penis layer or also some people lack ejaculation by nature.
- Read: Male infertility treatment options
Restriction of Intrauterine insemination Treatments:
The Intrauterine insemination treatments can be undergone only among a certain group of people fall under the category of matching all the requirements. There are some patients with the following scenarios who may not be allowed to undergo this treatment, such as,
- Females unknowingly may have developed severe impact of diseases in the Fallopian tubes and cannot undergo this treatment.
- Also, females who are affected with the infections in the pelvic region are also prohibited.
- People who suffer from the syndrome endometriosis are not allowed to undergo IUI treatment.
Functioning Of IUI:
Before starting the process, the medicines which will stimulate the process of ovulation might be used and careful monitoring is done to check whether the ovary eggs are older enough to be used for the Intrauterine insemination treatment. The next step is the IUI which happens during the time when the eggs are good enough for the ovulation process,usually after one day from the indication of ovulation process to occur.
The specimen of the semen is cleaned by using a special fluid to remove the sperms from the origin of the sperm fluids. With the help of the catheter, the collected sperms may then be directly placed into the egg in the uterus of the women. By doing such, we normally increase the possibilities to maximize the count in the sperms that are placed in the uterus,thus increasing the possibility of pregnancy.This is the total procedure involved in the IUI treatment and the next step is to look for the possible occurrence of pregnancy in women.
There are not many risks involved in the IUI treatment for pregnancy. There are possibilities of increasing the rate of pregnancy if the fertility medication is consumed while undergoing this treatment. Also like other treatments, there may be small rates of infection at the completion of the pregnancy.
Success Rate of IUI:
There is a major question from our readers, wondering about the success rates in IUI treatment, which can be normally addressed considering the key factors in mind and these key factors also play an important role in determining the success rate of the procedure. The success rate may be estimated around 20 % for each cycle depending on the key factors like the age of the female, the reason causing infertility and the usage of drugs level.
Even though there is less use of surgical procedures and cost being efficient for this procedure when compared to the IVF procedure, the rate of pregnancy also remains below the rate of pregnancy from the IVF procedures you would get a better idea once you meet up a physician or visit a fertilization center.